Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman


Synopsis:  Tom and Isabel Sherbourne work on a lighthouse off the coast of Australia.  The newly married couple keeps trying to have children but after three miscarriages all hope is lost.  Until one day a small boat washes ashore with a dead man and a crying baby aboard.  The couple decides to keep the baby for themselves and not properly notify the authorities, while burying the dead man on the island.  As the years go by the new family eventually leaves the post for holiday and heads back to the mainland only to realize that this missing baby, Lucy is actually named Grace and her real mother has spent years looking for her lost child and husband.  Once they head back to the lighthouse the guilt of what have they done starts to settle in and eventually begins to consume Tom and may eventually lead to their demise.

My review:  What a fantastic book.  So many emotions brought to life here.  I could actually feel the struggles from both Tom and Isabel and as well as Hannah and Lucy.  This is definitely a "book club" style book.  I highly recommend this to anyone.  Here is a link where you can read the first chapter online.  I was not sure how this book was going to end and given the story line this book could have gone many different directions.  I loved how the author brought this story to an end, I don't want to give anything away but all in all I loved this book.  Highly recommended!

My rating:  9
Pages:  343
Author website:  https://www.facebook.com/lightbetweenoceans

No comments:

Post a Comment