Monday, January 27, 2014

Phoenix Island by John Dixon


Synopsis:  Carl, a young troubled teen who has been found guilty of another assault charge is sent off to a military style boot camp called Phoenix Island.  His need to punish bullies has finally landed him in this hell.  These drill instructors seem to use any means necessary to get these cadets to change their delinquent ways.  As the weeks go by on the island the cadets learn that there may be more going on here than just helping troubled teens.  They realize that the "Old Man" is building an army at any means necessary, beatings, severe punishment, even murder.  Carl must figure out a way to save his friends and himself and escape the island before he too is killed.

My Review:  Two words - Page turner.  This author has a way of writing scenes so vivid you actually feel like you are there.  There is a fight scene between Carl and Parker that I started reading before work one morning and I was so involved in the story I was late to work.  Literally could not put the book down.  I heard there was a review where a woman actually gagged reading one of the scenes, yes there were bugs involved but how well does a scene need to be written that it makes someone actually gag?  To me that is fantastic writing.

Somehow before the book was even released to the public the idea behind the book was picked up by CBS for a TV show called Intelligence.  While I have only seen the first episode of the show these two storied are only slightly related, they are quite different from each other.  It's a shame because I think the book would make a better movie than just just using the concept of the chip implant as the show uses.  I'm looking at you Ridley Scott to make some moves here...

I have had the pleasure of conversing with John over email and Facebook the last few weeks and look forward to one day meeting him in person.  He is currently working on the sequel to Phoenix Island now called Devil's Pocket.  You can bet that I will add that book to the top of my "to read" pile.  I look forward to reading more of his work in the future.

My rating:  9
Pages:  320
Author website:  http://www.johndixonbooks.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Bobby! So glad you dug the book. I'm not surrendering movie deal hopes yet, since the show is so different. My not-so-secret dream is that the book will sell well enough to warrant a movie that tells its story closely. Thanks again -- and looking forward to meeting you, too!

    ReplyDelete