Sunday, April 13, 2014

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall


Synopsis:  1963 Mississippi.  Nine year old Starla, a white girl, who is quite the little whipper snapper, decides to run away to her absent mother who lives in Nashville trying to become a famous singer.  While walking she gets a ride from a black maid, Eula, who is driving home with a newborn white baby in the car.  Starla convinces Eula to drive her the rest of the way to Nashville to be with her momma.  An amazing bond is formed between these three while facing all types of obstacles, discrimination and hatred in the deep south.
My review:  By far the best book I have read in quite some time.  This is the type of book that makes you want to call in sick and stay home to read.  I read in the car at lunch, got up early and read before work, even took it with me in the bathroom, just to get a few extra minutes to read it.

There are so many good things about this book I almost don't want to write them here so when you do read this book you will walk in with open arms.  It's that good!!  So I will keep this short.

I was a bit hesitant when I heard that this book was written in the perspective of a nine year old girl.  I was afraid I could not relate at all.  Needless to say that was not the case.  Starla is a great character and had me captivated from the first sentence.  I also loved how this author was able to convert the southern slang and accent into words so well. It reads and flows beautifully.

I am a sucker for a good book that takes place in the deep south, especially in the 1960's time period and this one more than exceeds my expectations.  There is no doubt in my mind that this will be the next book I suggest for the girls book club.

My rating:  10
Pages:  307
Author website:  http://susancrandall.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment