Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash


Synopsis:  Told from the point of view of three different characters in the book, we are told a story of a boy who witnesses a "healing" of his older brother in a strange church where later that same day the boy is found dead after attending a second church service.  Christopher, Stump as he goes by in the book, is a mute and has never uttered a word in his life.  His mother, after hearing what she thinks is him saying "Mama" during the first healing is convinced that this preacher can heal her son and takes him back for the second healing.  We hear some back story of this preacher and why he may not be a healer and may in fact be a murderer.  All the stories told eventually converge towards the end as we see how this tragedy came to be and how each of these characters are involved.

My review:  This is definitely a book club style book and a great read.  My only issue with this book was how it all came together in the end.  It just left me wanting more.  I loved reading this book, and I read it in about three days but I feel like there were unanswered questions and an anticlimactic ending.  There was great conflict throughout the story and I was highly entertained but with a slightly different ending I may have rated this book a 7 or 8.  I will definitely read this authors second book with the hopes of an improved ending.

My rating:  6
Pages:  336
Author website:  http://www.wileycash.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment