Monday, January 27, 2014

Monsters by Donald Wells


Synopsis:  Consisting of a series of six short stories we learn about two killers, Dave and Jack, that schedule a "boy's night out" every couple of weeks where they hunt down and kill women.  Things seem to be going well for the boys until one of the women escape, and Dave ends up killing his boss in a moment of passion.  It is the combination of these two events that ultimately result in their demise.

My review:  I have to say that the cover alone is one of the most disturbing images I have ever seen.  I didn't quite feel the character development in this book as I did in the Taken series but still very well written, I mean I read this entire book in about three hours (one good thing about being sick over the weekend, plenty of reading time).  I will say Donald Wells writes serial killers so well that he actually has me wondering about him.

What I love about the way the author writes these short stories is that each story has its own climax.  They are not written as chapters, it is almost like you can read them independently of each other and still enjoy the story itself.  I will definitely be checking out the next box set when it is written and released.

My rating:  7
Pages:  140
Author website:  http://www.donaldwells.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bobby,

    Thanks for the review. There's actually an updated cover for Monsters that's less disturbing. That cover gave me the creeps as well.

    Cheers,
    Donald

    ReplyDelete