Friday, September 27, 2013

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


Synopsis:  Clay Jensen arrives home one day to find a box at his front door.  Inside the box are several tapes that were recorded by Hannah Baker, a girl and previous crush interest from his class who committed suicide a few weeks earlier.  He learns that he is somehow connected to why Hannah killed herself.  In order to find out how he must listen to all the tapes.  Along with the tapes is a map he found in his school locker.  As he listens to the tapes and follows the map he begins his quest of understanding how something terrible like this could happen and how he could possibly be involved.  Each tape is the story of someone who directly or indirectly was involved with Hannah's decision to kill herself.  Thirteen tapes and thirteen reason why...

My review:  I read this book in honor of banned books week.  Personally I do not think that any book should be banned, ever.  But is some cases I understand why the book was banned, at least to a select audience.  According to Amazon the age range of this book is 12 and up.  I do not agree with this.  While this book is considered to be YA, young adult, I feel 12 is a bit young for someone to read this book.  First of all it's about suicide and the events that lead to a suicide.  In this book there are several situations that have pushed this book into the banned books list for 2013, peeping toms, bullying, rape and of course suicide.  With all that said I think everyone should read this book, eventually.  I loved the way the book was written with Hannah speaking over the tapes and Clay's thoughts and actions mixed right in.  I really felt both Clay's and Hannah's emotions reading this book.  I also loved how the ending of the book brought the story all together.  Book clubs, reading groups, High School Juniors and Seniors, and all ages above should read this book.  There are lessons here about how a simple act of teasing or joking may be just enough to push someone over the edge and actually consider doing something like taking his or her own life.  I think we can all learn something from this book, I know I did.

My rating:  9
Pages:  336
Author website:  http://jayasher.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment