Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Hurricane by Hugh Howey


Synopsis:  Daniel Stillman is a loaner, one friend, no life and a massive Hurricane is coming that will change everything.  The book starts out with Daniel going to a party, one in which he was invited by someone who was invited by someone else.  He does not want to go but is eventually pressured into it by his one friend.  Due to the digital age we live in no one has been watching the news or staying up on current events, apparently with this info so constantly accessible no one actually pays any attention to it.  So while this party is in full effect, the cops show up but not to breakup the party they are there for Daniel.  He is informed that the cops are friends of his stepfather and that he has sent for Daniel because there is a massive storm coming.  When finally home the family endures the storm together, less the eldest brother who is spending the night at his girlfriends house.  Once the storm passes they realize the full extent of the damage, not only to their house but to the rest of the neighborhood as well.  While out surveying the scene a girl asks Daniel for help hooking up a charging station for the rest of the neighbors to use once cell service is finally restored.  Her name is Anna, oddly enough the same name as the Hurricane that just came though.  Together with the rest of the family they seek out the lost older brother, try to restore some sort of order to the house and deal, as best the can with a life altering storm.

My Review:  First of let me say that I pretty much love all things Hugh Howey so maybe I am a bit biased but I absolutely loved this book.  With only being 200 some pages it was a quick read and an absolute page turner.  And since the main character is a high schooler I may even consider this to be a young adult book.  Such a fantastic story of love and life.  I was rooting for Daniel from the first few pages.  I loved how Hugh incorporated Anna (the girl not the storm) into the story, I truly felt a connection between her and Daniel.  Well done Hugh, you have managed to blow me again yet again.  My only issue with this book is that now I have one less Hugh Howey book to read for the first time.


My Rating: 8
Pages: 218
Author website: http://www.hughhowey.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment