Thursday, September 12, 2013

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut


Synopsis: Billy Pilgrim is unstuck in time.  He randomly travels through time into different periods of his life from the bombing in Dresden to his time with the aliens on Planet Tralfamdore.  He is constantly running into random characters on his adventures, some of which appear in other Vonnegut books, even Vonnegut himself.  Because he can time travel he has already seen all the events in his life before they actually happen, the bombing of Dresden, his children, the death of his wife, even his own death.  So it goes.  All of these events converge together randomly throughout paragraphs of writing to form a story...

My review: I am having the hardest time putting the synopsis of this book into words.  Maybe I just don't get it but I am at a loss.  I did not find a point to this book at all.  Yes it's kind of cool about the time travel but more than anything I had a hard time following it cohesively.  One paragraph Billy is at war in 1945 and the next he is at his daughter's wedding, being abducted by aliens.  I can appreciate a "weird" book as much as the next guy but I don't see what all the hype is about with this book.  I wanted to, I really wanted to like it, but I didn't.  I have heard nothing but good things about this book for years.  I am glad that I have read it so I know for myself what it's all about but I will not be recommending this book to anyone in the future, either here on on Tralfamdore.

My rating: 3
Pages: 215
Author website: http://www.vonnegut.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment