Thursday, April 24, 2014

Fool by Christopher Moore


Synopsis:  The fool in King Lear's court is a fool named Pocket.  King Lear wants to know which if his three daughters loves him most so he can award her the land and fortune he holds as king.  This issue is that they all hate hate him because frankly he is a cheeky little git.  Somehow between all the plots and subplots Pocket must find a way to keep himself alive and protect what he loves.  I assure you that there will be some heinous fuckery most foul!

My review:  Let me start by saying that I love Christopher Moore.  This is the third book of his that I have read for the second time.  Even having read it once before, I could not put it down.  Christopher Moore's fourteenth book (The Serpent of Venice) was released on Tuesday, I ordered a signed first edition and have been chomping at the bit to start it.  Since I knew this book was coming out I wanted to read Fool again as The Serpent of Venice is about Pocket, the main character in Fool.

The one liners in this book are unparalleled.  Christoper Moore has somehow even invented his own language using British humor.  Trust me when I say that it works, it works very well.  There are even foot notes to explain some of the words which only add to the humor.  In describing one of the daughters he writes of her Boffnacity - an expression of shagnatiousness, fit, from the Latin boffusnatious.  I mean how does he come up with this stuff??

Christopher Moore describes the book below and I think this may be not only the perfect description of the book but also a good incite into how the book is written.

"WARNING This is a bawdy tale. Herein you will find gratuitous shagging, murder, spanking, maiming, treason, and heretofore unexplored heights of vulgarity and profanity, as well as non-traditional grammar, split infinitives, and the odd wank. If that sort of thing bothers you, then gentle reader pass by, for we endeavor only to entertain, not to offend. That said, if that s the sort of thing you think you might enjoy, then you have happened upon the perfect story!"

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Moore at a book signing and was able to get my copy of Fool signed.  I am a sucker for a signed book!  Yes, I am proud to say I was a bit start stuck by him as well.  He has been my favorite author since I first read Lamb and was more than slightly nervous to meet him.  Not only is he my favorite author he is also my measuring stick for all things humorous in literature.  He is beyond funny.  At his signing he spoke for about an hour and then met with everyone to get their books signed.  The hour of him speaking was like sitting in a comedy club, he was absolutely hilarious.

Do yourself a favor and pick up one of his books, any one of this books.  You will not be disappointed.



My rating:  9
Pages:  352
Author website:  http://www.chrismoore.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment